Subject access requests

Your right of subject access

You are entitled to be told if the Money and Pensions Service holds any information about you and if so, to be provided with a copy of that information. This is called the ‘right of subject access’. These rights are governed by Data Protection legislation. 

Please note that information is subject to the Money and Pensions Service data retention policy and can only be provided if we still hold any information relating to you and exemptions do not apply. 

Subject access requests are free; however, we reserve the right to charge a reasonable fee if a request is particularly excessive or repetitive.

For more information on the right of subject access, please go to the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO) website.

Making a subject access request to the Money and Pensions Service

To access the personal information we hold about you please either contact the Data Protection Officer (DPO) directly via email, or complete a Subject Access Request (SAR) form and return to us.

Please email or post to: Data Protection Officer, The Money and Pensions Service, Holborn Centre, 120 Holborn, London, EC1N 2TD.

If you make a valid application for subject access to the us, we will:

  • tell you whether we hold any data on you; and
  • give you a copy of this data.

We will aim to fulfil your request within one month of receiving the following:

  • a valid subject access application;
  • enough documentation to verify your identity

Information that we hold

Information we may hold is likely to be dependent on whether you; 

  • have contacted the Money and Pensions Service through our website and our telephone service; and/or
  • have received Debt Advice through a Money and Pensions Service funded service

In addition to a copy of your data, you will also receive guidance from the Money and Pensions Service, advising you what to do if you believe that any information is incorrect.

Verifying your identity

Before we can release any of your data, we must be sure of your identity. 

You must send a minimum of two original pieces of official identity documentation with your application which between them provides enough information to prove your name, date of birth, current address and signature.

Examples of this are:

Document 1

  • current, valid photo-card driving licence*
  • birth/adoption Certificate
  • passport

*please note that we are unable to accept paper counterpart driving licences issued after 1998 in line with changes introduced by the DVLA from 8 June 2015 as they no longer have any legal status.  We are also unable to accept expired photo-card driving licences.

Document 2

  • utility bill i.e. gas/electricity/telephone bill 
  • official document i.e. correspondence from bank/building society

The above should be no more than 3 months old. All documents must be originals. We will not accept photocopies. We advise that you send in your identity documents by secure means. Your documents will be held securely by the MaPs and sent back to you by secure delivery as soon as we have verified your identity. 

Contact details

Data Protection Officer
Money and Pensions Service
Holborn Centre
120 Holborn

If you have any questions, please direct these to

Alternatively, you may call 020 7943 0192

Subject access request concerns

If you are dissatisfied with the way your Subject Access request application has been processed and/or wish to challenge the results, you can raise a concern with the MaPs Data Protection Officer using the contact details above.

If you feel that we have not satisfactorily addressed your concerns, you can then escalate them to the Information Commissioner’s Office via their website or in writing to:

Customer Contact
Information Commissioner’s Office
Wycliffe House
Water Lane

Please note – we retain subject access information for a maximum of 6 months in case of any concerns raised. After 6 months the copy of the subject access information is securely destroyed.

Back To Top

Managing money in uncertain times

Guides to support your employees and customers affected by the pandemic or rising living costs